News & Events


LIHEAP Heating: Beginning January 2015

All applicants must participate in Budget Counseling Classes prior to receiving an appointment. Contact your local office for more information.

Below is a checklist you can use to ensure you have all of the proper documentation when you come to apply for LIHEAP assistance.

  •  Income verification for everyone in the household for the previous month.

WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO VERIFY ANY INCOME ONLINE (child support, TANF, etc.).  YOU MUST BRING PROOF WITH YOU!!! All income verification must come from its source.  We are no longer able to use Housing Authority income verification. 

Anyone living in the household that is age 18 or older, is not a full time student and has zero income must get a notarized verification of zero income form filled out. The form CAN NOT be filled out by someone else living in the home OR by anyone that is related to any member of the household.

  •        Social Security cards for everyone in the household (we cannot take              Medicare card)
  •        Picture ID of person applying for assistance
  •        If it is a second-party application, we will need a picture ID of the person making application on the household’s behalf and a permission to complete application form must be filled out by the applicant.
  •        An up to date heating bill.  The bill must be in the name of the head of household or spouse of head of household.  The only exception is if the bill is in the landlord’s name.  If it is in the landlord’s name, you must have a letter from the landlord stating the bill is in his or her name but you are responsible for the bill.  It must have the name, address and phone number of the landlord so we can call for verification.
  •        If you live in public housing, you will need to bring a copy of your lease agreement.  The lease must show your utility allowance.
  •        If there are any children in the household that are not your biological children, you must show proof of custody.

If your bill is past due and you are applying for Crisis LIHEAP assistance, you will also need to bring proof of a health related energy crisis.  (Examples: signed Physicians statement, child under the age of 5 or an elderly person over the age of 60 living in the household.)